Zippo Fest 2012
the Suck It And See Zippo is one of the most common things people ask me about. there’s usually not much i can do to help - the damn things are either sold out or way too expensive.
if you’re one of the people who really wants one, check out these posts that nobody saw last night because i did them at like 3 am.
there’s advice on getting an SIAS zippo that’s every bit as good as the official one, at a fraction of the cost.
and i also did a little photo tutorial on how to refill/reflint them and i’ll probably keep posting this until it gets like at least 10 notes. because that shit took me almost an hour. and i’m definitely petty enough to cry about nobody seeing it. that was an hour i could’ve spent doing important stuff like working on my collage of Hermione photos. hubba hubba.
BTW, if you want to replicate the SIAS Zippo you have to buy one with the exact same finish. it LOOKS “silver” but it has a specific name when you order: Zippo 250 High Polished Chrome. on the company’s system it may also be called: “250 REG H POL CHROME”
UPDATE: from the official AM store, it would cost an American $50 BEFORE shipping.
here’s one you can buy blank for $14. shit, i might do this myself!
all you’d have to do is found out the name of this font:
would it be cheating to just buy my own silver zippo lighter and get suck it and see engraved on it or
no way. not at all.
that’s exactly what the “official” AM zippos are anyway, you know? they just buy them in bulk and have them engraved. you could probably get yours for a whole lot cheaper and nobody would be able to tell
just make sure you get the font right
- Remove the insert from the case and hold it upside down
- Peel back the pad a little bit
- Open your lighter fluid - my finger is too big to get at the white spout, so i use the Zippo lid to pry it open (some people swear you have to use Zippo brand. i don’t really believe that, but i listen to them anyway)
- Pour enough fluid in there to soak the cotton.
- Push the pad back in (this is where fluid will overflow if you’ve put too much in. dry it off before you do anything else)
- Replace the insert in the case
- Do your best Alex Turner impression
Photo 3: (Bonus) Changing the flint
(you didn’t ask, but you’re going to later so i’ll just tell ya now)
- Loosen the screw that holds the pad in place (i use the zippo lid for this too)
- Remove the screw/spring bit. The old flint should fall out with it
- Put in the new flint, grayest side first
- Replace the spring/screw… extra carefully, trust me